Thursday 23 August 2007

bring it in

i walk out of my apartment
down a hall singed by fire
descend stairs
and enter the outdoors

i walk a cross a field
that is for sale and
probably zoned for condos
pass a store where
I buy cigarettes
and the like, dip down
a side street say hello
to a local hooker

turn south into an alley, cross a main road, walk behind the Sally Ann, hit Canada place and cross jasper. i look at the high rises, the trees, the colors on the river and like a miracle the doors open at my mere presence.

A floating stair carries me down and i walk past a wall of TVs
past security watching people who should be watching them
catch another floating stair, cut through hall A over the loading dock

barge into the shipper receiver office and say,
"Brother I am forming a union."

Gabe is short, black and under paid. He smiles and yells/speaks
"Now you're talking."

I explain we'll collect union dues and get ourselves rich.
He punches my fist while all the while looking disbelieving

I go underground and change into my white uniform
and start thinking about cleaning the kitchen
two thousand feet of stainless steel

before I know it

my yellow bucket is full of pink water
and the pot washer is roaring.

No comments:

Post a Comment