Thursday 23 August 2007

CUPE 30

This section covers the technical and practical aspects of forming a union. I find it boring but necessary information so here we go...

The first union i contacted through the yellow pages was CUPE 30. They represent city workers and since the Shaw is owned by the city and run by Economic Development Edmonton i thought it would be a natural fit. Wrong.

So i make the call and speak with a guy called Nigel, he laughs and says, "So you want to organize."

I respond in the affirmative and he gives me the name of an organizing rep who is out of town attending a conference. Well after much effort for me I finally get in touch with her and we agree to meet at Smitty's. She shows up and looks like a realtor dressed in fishnet stockings and a Gucci bag. She gives little in information and I am unconvinced of her passion. I agree to bring more people to the next meeting and we part.

At the next meeting i bring Gabe and he tells her of the pain but she is still non-committal. She explains the rules unclearly, buys coffee and tells us to get a total number of employees.

I am getting colder.

No comments:

Post a Comment